Sunday, June 24, 2007

18 days and counting!

Hello everyone! Not too much to update you on today. I am beginning to experience what it is like to parent teenagers. Daily I pray for wisdom and discernment. I also have to realize that it is more difficult to parent them in this environment. They are in their culture, their language, etc. When we get home, they will depend more on me and Bryan for guidance. Anyway, we've gotten through a couple of situations just fine. The children, especially the boys, have not been taught how to reason/work through problems, rather they become frustrated, angry or sad. This is going to take some time to learn, but will improve as we learn to communicate with each other.

Jenna graduated from the orphanage on Friday evening (9th grade). They all dressed up, received their certificates, sang and gave speeces to their teachers/tutors. It was very interesting to see that some of the girls were wearing 2nd hand wedding dresses for their attire! Depending on their status, these children now have the option to go to a 10-12th grade technical school (provided by the government), or they will live on the streets...very sad. I must say that I'm impressed with the education and care that the children at the Berdyansk orphanage have received. At other orphanages (like Tokmak) the children are not so fortunate. Although Alex is now 10 years old, he has only completed 3rd grade with un-impressive marks. VJ has completed 6th grade with similar results. I think both boys will repeat these grades in America, but the language barrier will make it tough for them for the first year. I am certain that Julia will be fine to move on to the 11th grade and Jenna to the 10th. We'll have to see how that works.

I'm working on switching hotel rooms today. All day long there is noisy construction above & below our room...and it's getting OLD! Maybe the next room's A/C will work a little better!

I love you all!
Joy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joy,I will also pray for you to have wisdom and discernment as well as patience,safety for all of you etc.Hope you are successful in getting a better hotel room.With my age,I normally would not wish time to fly but in this case I do!I am so anxious to see all of you!Lots of love to you and the kids,Beverly

sabatiniadoptions said...

Joy,

Above all we need to pray for salvation for our kids. The rest will fall in place. We need to show the love of Christ in everything we do...sometimes that means being tough on them too. Each child will require something different.

God is in control and will not leave you to figure things out on your own. He has been faithful through this entire process and knows our every need. He WILL provide.

Being the mom of 5 children will keep you running in all directions. My advise is to MAKE SURE you spend a few minutes each day alone with our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I have not been faithful to this and I feel the consequences. It's our lifeline!! Satan loves to keep us preoccupied with other things. I plan to practice what I preach and seek His face. Actually, I want to crawl up in the lap of my Lord and let Him hold me. It's only through His loving arms that total peace comes.

I miss you and can't wait until you get back!!!

Sharon