Wednesday, July 4, 2007

What "Plan B"? We're on to Plan C!

Yesterday was VERY long! We left the hotel at 6:30 a.m. and arrived in Zaporrhyzia before the Department of Vital Statistics opened. We were the 3rd set of people in line and we didn't finish up there until 3:00 p.m. We had to stop by Tokmak to get the new birth certificates, which took another 2 hours, so we didn't have time to go back to Zaporrhyzia. Therefore, we left at 5:00 a.m. today to travel back to Zaporrhyzia. All of the documents were legalized and we began the process of getting new passports for the children. The passport office was so busy that we'll have to go back on Friday or Saturday.

Julia has a domestic passport and she is registered in Berdyansk, so we'll have to work on that tomorrow...hence the prayer request. The director at the passport office here is not very nice and I am supposed to beg and cry tomorrow so that she will fulfill our request. If she refuses, we probably won't make our flight next Thursday. PLEASE PRAY that this lady's heart will be softened!!! To make matters more complicated, Victor had to go to Donetsk to help another family with court proceedings and will not be accompanying us to the passport office. He found a local 18-year-old who has studied English and she will do her best to help us tomorrow. She has NEVER been a facilitator for adoptions before. PRAY for her also...that she will be very persuasive!

AHA Staff - You'll be excited to know that I made a deal with Victor today. I told him that if we get Julia's passport, he must quit smoking...and he agreed! All of the walking that I've been doing is great, but breathing the second-hand smoke that I've been breathing while in Ukraine has probably cancelled out my heart-healthy activity!

If all goes well tomorrow we will be traveling to Kiev on Saturday night, arriving there at 7:00 a.m. on Sunday. We'll have medical exams on Monday and an an Embassy appointment on Tuesday. All paperwork should be completed by late Wednesday, just in time for us to fly out on Thursday. As you can see...there is NO wiggle room. I'm a little nervous!!!

Love you all and I can't wait to see you!
Joy

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joy,
I'm grateful to live in the U.S.A. I can't imagine living anywhere else. I pray all goes well and you can get out of that awful place A.S.A.P. My love to you all and Happy 4th of July!

Love,
Gail

Anonymous said...

Joy,
I'm grateful to live in the U.S.A. I can't imagine living anywhere else. I pray all goes well and you can get out of that awful place A.S.A.P. My love to you all and Happy 4th of July!

Love,
Gail

Anonymous said...

We definitely take for grant it the comforts and freedoms we enjoy here in the US. We will pray long and hard tonight and tomorrow for your challenge tomorrow. We know you are up to it and God will be standing right beside you. I know you are exhausted. We WILL see you next Thursday!

Love, The Georges

Anonymous said...

Hi Joy,

I am so sorry that you are having such a difficult time. Everything will work out for you and I am praying for that daily. Try to remember all of the business strategies that you have learned in the working world. You have so much courage, strength and intelligence, so hang in there and know we are all thinking of you.


Love,

Leigh